Friday 28 January 2011

What's black and blue but thankfully not red all over?

The answer is.........me! Bruises but no sunburn.

I joined the cycle group on Thursday up at the Chevron site, located at the top of Balikpapan. As Angela's car climbed up the steep hill with our bikes on the back I was thinking a) we've got to come back down this and I don't know if the breaks work that well and b) OMG - I've got to cycle back up this!

Five new people joined the group (including me) so I was hoping that the ride wouldn't be quite as crazy as advertised. We cycled around the kampungs and trough the city, up and down pretty steep hills and I only had to get off and push near the top of one of the hills where I ran out of momentum. It was perfect cycling weather, overcast and not too hot.

We were on the home stretch, which happened to be quite flat, when my front wheel went down a hidden deep hole. In the seconds before I completely wiped out lots of thoughts went through my head, including:
1) here we go again (this is not the first flight over the handlebars I have made)
2) this is going to hurt, alot
3) try and do a break roll, try and do a break roll, which I tried.

So, I let go of the handlebars and as the ground came up to meet me I put my hands on the floor, brought my shoulder round, tucked my head in and.........stopped, suddenly. What a shame the hole was so deep that my bike was embedded in the road and my right foot was trapped underneath. I was also wearing Angela's long sleeved cycling shirt.

So the upshot of the accident is that I have a skinned elbow from trying to push myself round, and a bruised leg from the crossbar. Not a mark on my face and I have all of my teeth still in my mouth, not in a jar for the tooth fairy. By all accounts, the fall looked quite spectacular from behind.

Apart from the slight mishap, I enjoyed the ride around the parts of Balikpapan that most ex-pats never see and I will be donning the bright pink shirt again next week and hopefully I won't be told off for pedalling to slowly because I don't think we will be going as easy as we did this week. I will also have to take more water as I drank the whole two litres in my camelbak plus my emergency bottle of water before we reached the finish post.

No comments:

Post a Comment