Sunday 24 October 2010

We’re not in Kansas anymore Mr Pickle

We have now been two days without the internet! I feel like a part of me is missing. I’m not sure how I functioned as a human being before it was rolled out into our homes. How did our parents manage?

All of the recipes that I use are on the internet, I download my emails using the internet and Mr Pickle and I play games from the CBeebies website. Jeremy has just used the phrase ‘the next time we have internet...’ We are losing all hope that it will ever return into our lives.

One obvious concern about this situation is whether I will ever manage to see Strictly ever again whilst living in the back of beyond, never mind the fact that we can’t use Skype to talk to our nearest and dearest! 

And another thing......No TV! You know what that means.....No MTV! We lost the satellite system days ago and still haven’t managed to get that sorted out either. Thank goodness for Peppa Pig and Charlie and Lola on the computer. 

The three of us, as a family which it is very nice to be again, went to a local market this morning (although by the time I manage to post this it will probably be three weeks ago). We bought lots of fruit and veg for very little money, experienced the smell of the fish stalls and went to a funny little shop called C V Central where we bought a HUGE bin for the kitchen. It looks a bit like a red darlek and has ‘push’ written on the swing lid which makes me think it was designed for a public place. All other bins that are to be found in Balikpapan are teeny weeny.

We also bought some blue Fanta, not yet sampled but very exciting. 

Driving back from the shops the realisation hit that we are now living in a very world! Quite clearly, we are not in Kansas anymore.

Anyway, the plan was to go to the swimming pool in the afternoon but once we had eaten lunch and sat down, Sunday lethargy hit and we didn’t manage to leave the house again. That obviously doesn’t change from place to place in the world, the only thing missing was Antiques Roadshow.

No comments:

Post a Comment