Saturday 23 October 2010

Alot of dough

Mr Pickle appeared beside my head this morning with his a very informative greeting 'mummy it's light out and it is morning'. As it was 7.30 am, I couldn't really argue so we made our way into the kitchen to make breakfast.

Awaiting me was a great big wobbly, blobby and bubbly mass in a saucepan on the work top. I started to make french bread the night before and it is a two day process! As I do not have many kitchen implements, a mixing bowl being one of the missing items, I had to improvise by using a saucepan instead. Last night I mixed up a batch of lukewarm water, flour and yeast and left it on the side in the kitchen to 'grow'. My science experiment was a success and my mixture had tripled in size.  

While Mr Pickle ate a very exotic breakfast of a cup of milk, three baby bananas, a yoghurt, two pieces of toast and a handful of cocoa pops, I got on with making the dough. Having read the rest of the instructions, there was more waiting to follow. I mixed up the full batch, kneaded the big bubbly ball for eight minutes and then let it sit in the saucepan for a further two hours. 

Mr Pickle asked 'is it play doh?' Bless him and his one track mind.

The dough doubled in size again! You don't get to see this happening in a bread maker. After a further knead and stretching into shape I had two french loaves. 

Thank goodness the gas supply was fixed yesterday! I baked then in the oven for 30 minutes and we had two, not quite as golden as I would have liked, french bread loaves.

Might try and make pizza dough next.

This afternoon we were taken shopping into one of the many shopping centres in town. In preparation for tomorrow's trip to the pool I have bought a new swimsuit. There was a wide choice on sale if you were looking to be covered from neck to ankle! I didn't mind, it was just nice to be out and about taking in the sights and smells of Balikpapan. This particular shopping centre is situated on a waterfront that smells a bit like Angle beach on a hot day. 

We ate the bread with a homemade lasagne and some Balikpapan friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment