Wednesday 3 November 2010

Melbourne Cup and Cross Stitch

I went to a ladies day to watch the Melbourne Cup with the Balikpapan International Women's Association (BIWA) yesterday. We were all dressed to the nines and those who have been here a while were wearing appropriate head wear (think Ascot).

Before the race we had a fashion show. In the back of beyond, we were sat in the spacious home of the current president watching models (also members of BIWA) sweep down the huge staircase in couture (made by a member of BIWA). To say that it was surreal would be an understatement, it was also fabulous to be in the company of women in my position and in such a civilised atmosphere.

We all took part in the sweepstake, watched the race and then had a delicious three course lunch, catered by the local Novatel. I met some really nice people and we exchanged numbers. I also found out about the crafty sewing group which meets on a Wednesday morning.

I knew I had packed the cross stich stuff in my suitcase for a reason! I planned an alphabet sampler for our forthcoming baby way back when we didn't even know what flavour baba was coming. Today I put the first stitches onto the fabric. By the time Oscar is 21 he will have a lovely Apple Tree Farm picture for his bedroom.

I met a like minded stitcher today and I spent more time chatting than sewing, which is why it will take me a further 18 years to finish the sampler, and had a generally lovely relaxed morning while Mr Pickle was entertained in pre-school. Fabulous.

Mr Pickle and I spent the afternoon together making playdoh chickens for him to cut up while I chopped up our most recent purchase of poultry. Once again, I forgot to take pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment