Monday 28 May 2012

Drain Fly Maggots......ewwwwwww

I came into the house after dropping Mr Pickle at kindy and went straight into the kitchen to make a cup of tea. I didn't even take my boots off because I clean the floors, so I am allowed (when there is no one else to see). I scrubbed them yesterday and they are very shiny.

I got to the corner by the kettle and something went crunch under my foot, I stepped backwards and there was more crunching. Strange, I thought, we didn't drop any crumbs over here this morning.

I looked down and saw a squirm of maggots coming out of the utility room drain, into the kitchen and up the side of the bin! What!?!?!?

Since when do maggots come from somewhere else and migrate to a bin? I have googled this gross phenomenon and have learned that these are drain fly maggots. The fly lays the eggs in the drain slime and then they look for a better food source.

Nasty! Now also very much washed away into the gravel outside.

You learn something new everyday and I will be regularly putting tea tree down the drain to prevent future grossness!

No comments:

Post a Comment