Monday 10 October 2011

The female of the species is more deadly than the male......

I sincerely hope that mum doesn't see this before she boards the plane.

Today Mr Pickle and I decided to play with a box of toys that had previously been put away in the storage area under the house. We pulled the box from under the chair in the lounge and onto the rug. Mr pickle was very excited as he pulled the lid off and started to rummage around.

We both saw the furry body and many eyes looking at us at the same time. At the bottom of the box was the biggest and hairiest spider I have ever been in the same room as. Mr Pickle looked at me expectantly and then reacted to the look of horror on my face. He grabbed his plastic bubble sword from the floor, pushed it into my hands and whilst running away shouted "hit it mummy, with my sword, my sword, hit it". So I did and it continued to stare at me.

I ran into the kitchen for the insect spray and and squirted it at point blank range. This time I swear I could hear an evil laugh echo around the toy box. Mr Pickle is now in the middle of the king size bed shouting "is it dead yet". At this point I am shouting to him to get his grabber and he refused to move from his safe haven.

I ran to his bedroom and was thankful that I knew exactly where the grabber was. Luckily the spider was so brazen by now that it felt it could mince about in the toy box and not try and escape somewhere. I caught it in the nippers of the grabber and it was waggling it's legs around madly. I took it out on the deck and whacked it with the barbecue tongs.

The spider's body was about an inch long from head to tail and four inches from toe to toe. I sent a picture if the splatted beastie to Jeremy and the gang in his office identified it as a huntsman and judging from the size, a female. I may have overeacted slightly as it turns out they are mostly just scary big and bites hurt but aren't deadly!

No comments:

Post a Comment